The question that every Malayali would get at least once from their non Malayali friend is about “Puttu” 😉 My case was no exemption, Whenever I introduced myself to a non -Malayali, the instant reaction was ,” oh! you are from Kerala! I love Kerala ,especially puttu ” 😛
So this may be a very basic post for all those malayali’s ( as we grew up eating puttu almost twice or thrice a week 😉 ) I’m posting this for beginners and all those non- Malayali’s who love puttu.. I’ve tried my best to incorporate a video as well. So, don’t hesitate to try this easy Kerala delicacy anymore.
The trick is getting the right consistency, that’s what makes the puttu soft.
Few points before making puttu:
- Go for puttu podi itself(not plain aripodi/rice flour ), any brand would do.
- For 1.5 cup(250ml) of puttu podi, use 1 cup of water ( not exact). Use the same bowl of measuring both.
- 1.5 cup gives two puttu in long puttu maker ie about 4-5 in Chirattaputtu
- Key is to drizzle water little by little and keep mixing. Never add water in one go.(Watch video to know how to add and mix water)
- You might require more than 1 cup too.
- I pulse the whipped puttu podi once in mixer to avoid lumps.
- And finally drizzle little more water to keep it wet.
- Puttu podi : 1.5 cups ( Serves 3 people)
- salt : 1/4 tsp or as required
- cumin seeds : 1/4 tsp
- Water : 1 cup or more
- grated coconut :1/2 -3/4 cup
- In a bowl take together puttu podi, salt and cumin seeds. Mix well using hand /whisk/spoon.
- Now start adding water little by little at a time and keep mixing.( watch the video to know how to sprinkle water and mix)
- You will notice change in texture of puttu podi from a powder to crumble form.
- Try holding in between the palms ,if it holds shape without any cracks , that’s it! Half the job is done
- Pulse/whip the finally in mixer.
- Drizzle little bit more of water( a handful or two) on top ,just to retain the moisture , keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- Start making the puttu, in a puttu maker.
- Add the perforated plate, after which add grated coconut , start filling the puttu podi and once it reaches half the maker ,add coconut and keep filling puttupodi till top of the maker.
- Finish off with more coconut grated and close with the lid and stean for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from stove , take the puttu maker out , gently prick it using a stick/pappadakambi (you may get one with puttu maker) at the bottom of the maker.
- Serve hot with curry of your choice.