Perhaps, there is nothing new when you hear this. But, this post is for all those who still find it difficult in figuring out a good Batter recipe.
You can find umpteen batter recipe on the internet still, you may find it difficult to find the one that suits you. Don’t worry, you are not alone in that 😛
The kind of dosa that I grew up having was entirely different from M! M’s amma’s dosa batter is quite different, I’ll surely include it sometime later.
this post has 4 different portions for batter, all these gives the best results. No, you wouldn’t need any fancy items 😉
You can use all the three for both idli and dosa, but the first and last versions are best, tastewise. The key is to grind urad dal well (it need to double in volume while grinding resembling frothy mixture) and ferment well. If you get these two right, I assure, you can get fluffy idlis as well as crispy dosas! 😉
Use 2 and 3 for crispy dosas!
Use 4th version for normal light dosas 🙂 that’s my amma’s version and that’s best for idlis too
You can also use “doppi” rice instead of idly rice/ponni rice/raw rice
make sure to use chilled water, if using a mixer grinder instead of wet grinder.
P.S : I don’t go for Chana dal/Chickpea flour or anything to make my dosa crispy as our tummy is quite not happy with that 😛
Also if you are storing for more than 3 days, FREEZE the batter in Portions! Its not recommended to use fermented things for more than 3 days!
- Idli rice – 3 cups -4 cups
- urad dal – 1 cup
- fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- wash the rice and urad dal separate for multiple times and soak for 6-8 hrs.
- Soak fenugreek with urad dal, if using a mixer. If using a wet grinder soak it with rice.
- Use cold water, if grinding in a mixer. Add water little by little.
- I usually grind urad dal first.
- If using a wet grinder, grind urad dal first adding water little by little until its frothy and doubled while grinding. Followed by rice and finally mix these two and let it ferment well!
- idly rice – 3 cup
- Ponni/Pachari -1/2 cup
- Red rice/matta ari – 1/2 cup
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- fenugreek seed – 1 tsp
Soak all rice items together with fenugreek for 8 hrs and urad dal separate.
Repeat the same process mentioned in Version 1
- idly rice – 3-4 cup
- Aval/thick poha – 1 handful
- fenugreek seeds – 1tsp
- Urad dal -1 cup
- water – as needed
Soak rice with fenugreek and urad dal .
Soak Poha only for 1/2 hr.
Finally grind as mentioned in version 1 and let it ferment .
You can also add 3 and 1/2 cup of idly rice and 1/4 cup of Pachari also for this.
- Ponni pachari – 4 cups
- urad dal – 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- wash and soak the rice with fenugreek.
- wash and soak urad dal too.
- Grind urad dal first as mentioned above. Adding little water at a time.
- Followed by grinding rice, finally, mix these two. and let it ferment well.
Feel free to post your queries/doubts on this 🙂
See you all in my next post! Stay happy and healthy!