An easy roast as side dish for lunch/dinner. I have used fresh prawns for this, you can use the same recipe for dried prawns as well. Shallots are used for this recipe ,use the same for better taste. You can still replace shallots with big onions.Kindly refer notes for details.
Prawns shouln’t be cooked for too long, it takes away its softness. Many at times I have noticed prawns taste rubbery even for the tastiest recipe. So, take care while cooking prawns.Do not cook it for more than 7-8 minutes.
**I have pre-cooked the prawns here with an inch piece of ginger , 1 kudampuli and little bit of turmeric powder and salt. You can use it immediately or refrigerate and use next day.
Easy Prawns Roast-Kerala Style
To cook prawns:
- Prawns :500 gm cleaned and de veined
- Gamboge/Kudampuli : 1 no
- turmeric powder :1/4 tsp
- ginger : 1 inch piece sliced
- salt : as needed
- shallots :15-20 chopped/ 1 big onion chopped
- Ginger :1/2 inch /one small piece sliced
- coriander powder :1 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder :1-2tsp
- Kerala garam masala ( optional) :1/2tsp
- coocnut oil :3-4 tsp
- curry leaves : 1-2 spring
- Take the ingredients mentioned under to cook prawns in a claypot , do not add any water as prawns will ooze out a lot of water.
- Keep the flame high and wait for the prawns to ooze out water and start boiling .
- Keep high for 4-5 minutes ,by gently stirring in between.
- Do not wait to evaporate the whole water , as it may take more time.
- Cook for maximum of 5 minutes and switch off.( you will notice the prawns shrink in size and change color )
- In another pan ,heat oil once hot , add sliced ginger , curry leaves wait for the ginger to start brown.
- Add the chopped shallots/onions are saute well to brown and fry.
- Let the onions fry well in low-medium flame.(add a pinch of salt to fry them fast)
- Now bring down the flame to lowest possible, add the coriander powder and let it fry for a minute to get rid of raw smell
- Add red chilli powder and fry that too( take care not to burn the powders) and add garam masala if using.
- Once everything is fried/ saute well to brown , little bit of salt and saute again, taste check at this stage.
- Finally add the cooked prawns , discarding the water if any.
- Combine everything well and roast the prawns for 4-5 minutes in medium flame by adding more oil in between if required.
- Squeeze the prawns well after washing and let it drain before adding into the claypot.
- Keep an eye while cooking prawns ,letting it not to cook for too long. ( not more than 6-7 minutes)
- If water remains even after 6-7 minutes , take the prawns using a slotted spoon .
- Do not cook to dry the whole water oozed out.
- Shallots/onions has to be browned / fried well
- Use red chilli powder as per your tolerance to spice level .
- Take care while adding salt into the saute onions as we have already cooked prawns with salt.
- You can refrigerate the pre-cooked prawns and use it next day too.