This recipe may be common in most Malayali households as its one of the easiest dish that could be made with Breadfruit.
The recipe calls for cheriyulli/shallots/small onions , that too more of it and crushed red chillies ,finished! the ingredient list 😀
- Kadachakka/ breadfruit thinly sliced : 1/2 of a medium sized one
- Shallots/cheriyulli :12-15 no thinly sliced
- crushed red chillies/chilli flakes : 1 tsp
- turmeric powder :1/4 tsp
- curry leaves : 2spring
- salt : as needed
- coconut oil 3-4 tsp
- Take the sliced breadfruit/kadachakka in a steamer and steam for 10 minutes or until done.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, add oil and let it heat too.
- Add the sliced shallots and saute well,bring down the flame to low and let them brown and fry, add the crushed red chillies / red chilli flakes and turmeric powder. Brown them too
- Add curryleaves and give a quick mix.
- finally add the steamed Kadachakka , salt and mix everything well.
- Spread it across the pan to saute well in low flame by sauteing in between.
- Switch off the flame once mezhukupuratti achieves desired caramelised color
- The more shallots the more tastier the mezhukupuratti will be.
- let the shallots brown well to get the real flavour, otherwise mezhukupuratti will taste raw shallot.
- Steam the kadachakka for 10-15 minutes or more if required.
- You can also pulse the cleaned shallots bulbs and red chilli flakes in mixie for once.
- If you don’t have red chilli flakes , take 2-3 dried chillies , break it and add it along with shallots and pulse once or twice.
- You can also add a clove of garlic , if you like the flavor of it.
- we like our mezhukkupuratis to be browned well, so adjust according to your need.