Aloo Bonda/Potato Bonda/Urulakizhangu Bonda is a common tea time snack, that perfectly goes with the evening tea. Its quite an easy recipe too. So, you might be wondering what’s with this recipe ?? 🙂 To know it, you definitely need to read it further 😉
I’m a huge fan of such snacks , like onion pakoda, samosa, cutlet and so on..especially to accompany my tea 😀 but off lately,I can’t handle much deep fried goodies :-/ Also M,is not a fan of any snack made with besan/Chickpea flour/kadalamavu! sigh!! :-/ He has his own excuses for not liking it , that made me think for an alternative for Chickpea flour, and then I decided to go with wheat flour 😀
And now comes the second part, deep frying them. I have seen people using Appe pan/ Paniyara kallu for making such snacks.The first time I tried , it didn’t come out well, then I figured out what went wrong 🙂
So, for this recipe I have replaced besan with wheat flour and deep frying with frying in a Appe pan. You can definitely do this with usual way of making bonda too, its just because my family like this way ,I have replaced besan/kadalamavu.
Note: Although besan/kadalamavu/chickpea flour has its own benefits, some of us it may induce digestive issues , bloating, and gas formation after having anything made with besan/kadalamavu flour. For them this is a best alternative! 😉
Continue reading to know how this is done 😉
Aloo Bonda/Potato Bonda -healthy way (makes 10 -12 small bondas)
|For the filling:|
|Potatoes||2,3 medium boiled and mashed|
|onion||1 small, chopped|
|green chillies||2 , finely chopped|
|ginger||1/2″ finely chopped|
|mustard seeds||1/4 tsp|
|curry leaves, coriander leaves||4-5, torn , 1-2 tbsp chopped|
|coconut oil||1-2 tsp|
|for the coating|
|wheat flour/Chickepea flour||1/4 cup|
|all purpose flour/Maida/rice flour||1 tsp|
|red chilli powder||1/4 tsp|
|turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|oil for frying||3- 4 tbsp or more|
- Mash the potatoes well without any lumps and set aside.
- In a pan, add coconut oil/oil add mustard seeds once hot, let it splutter, followed by curry leaves and green chillies and ginger.
- To which add chopped onions, pinch of turmeric , salt as required as well. Let it soften and become translucent.
- Add mashed potatoes and combine everything well. Switch off.
- In a bowl take wheat flour , rice flour , red chilli powder, asafetodia ,and mix well. add water to make the batter.
- The batter has to bit loose unlike the usual bonda batter( usual bonda batter is kinda thick)
- now roll into equal portions , and set aside.
- Heat the appe pan, brush with oil lightly . dip the portins one by one and place in the appe pan.
- Cover with a lid for 2 minutes, and turn it other side and cover again for 2 minutes.
- Now open and let it fry until done, brush more oil if required.
- Take out the bonda, once the crust is browned . Serve hot with mint chutney or ketchup
- you can also make the same way with usual bonda mix, but make sure to take it little thin .
- You may see the crust flaking( thats because we are using less oil) , but dont worry ,the bondas will come out soft . 🙂
- The bonda did remain soft for more than 2hrs after preparing them.
- I cheated a bit 😉 Instead of sauteing the potato mix ,I mixed everything and microwaved for 2-3 minutes. just to cook the onions.
- whichever batter base you are using, do not take it too thin or too thick. somewhere in the consistency of wheat dosa batter.
6) ഉണ്ണിയപ്പ ചട്ടിയിൽ എണ്ണ തടവി , ചൂടാക്കുക .
7) ചൂടാകുമ്പോൾ ഓരോ ഉരുളകൾ എടുത്ത് മിശ്രിതത്തിൽ മുക്കി ഓരോന്നായി അതിലേക് വെക്കുക .
8) മൂടികൊണ്ട് അടക്കുക , 2 മിനിറ്റ് ഇന് ശേഷം തുറന്നു മറ്റേ സൈഡ് തിരിച്ച വെക്കുക .
9) അടച്ചുവെച്ചു വീണ്ടും 2 മിനിറ്റ് വെച്ചശേഷം , തുറന്നു കുറച്ചു ഓയിൽ /എണ്ണ ബ്രഷ് ചെയ്തു കൊടുക്കുക .