Hola! 😀 It’s another Beef recipe 😀 This is again my Mil’s recipe, the easiest and the tastiest. We non – veg Malayali’s have taken beef to our heart 😛 Yes, i mean it! This recipe taste best when the beef is dry fried. This happen to be M’s as well as my favorite 😀
You can either deep fry it or let it slow fried being in the pan. I choose the second method, always! It does takes time to fry , but needs less oil. 😀 I have used 500 gm of beef, for 1 kg double the measures.
We get beef with less fat here, so I have added 1 tbsp of ghee while pressure cooking it.(its optional ,though)
This beef dish can be refrigerated after pressure cooking ,once cooled and can be used as and when required to make roast/curry/fry as you wish.
Note: coconut tidbits/ thengakothu is an optional ingredient, you can have it if you want to make it extra tasty 🙂
Beef Dry Fry: serves 3-4
|spices to use
|1 .5 -2 tsp
|1/2″ pieces, 3 no:
|1 to 1.5 tsp
|star anise, cardamom
|1 no, 1 no
|3/4 ” piece 1no
|1 medium pod
|20 no or more
|red chilli powder
|1 to 1.5 tsp ( kashmiri)
|3-4 tsp ∼ 1 tbsp
|1/2 a lemon
|handful or more
|onion * optional
|1 medium, chopped
- Clean the beef very well, by washing it 6-7 times or until cleaned well.
- Take together all the spice ingredients like fennel seed, cardamom , cinnamon, anise, ginger, garlic, shallots, pepper in a mixer jar.
- Grind them into a fine paste.
Add turmeric powder to the beef and 1/4 or 1 tbsp of the ground paste and marinate it well. Set aside for at least 1/2 hour(its okay if you cant also! )
Now take the remaining paste in a pan, with 1 tbsp oil and roast it well until the raw smell is gone.From the raw smell of ginger garlic to nice aroma of ginger garlic is when you need to add the spice powders one by one, in low flame.Fry for 2 minutes until the powders are no longer raw.
Add this into the beef and marinate this well. Take this in a pressure cooker , add 1/2 cup of water( add water according to the beef you use) as well.Pressure cook until done, it will take 7-8 whistles in medium flame or more.
Once the pressure is released , check if beef is cooked well , add salt and give a good mix. You can boil and reduce the gravy being in cooker itself or Heat another pan with 2 tbsp of oil to which add curry leaves , add the beef along with the gravy and let it get dry fried well 🙂
Keep adding oil in between if necessary! Alternatively you can also deep this beef. In that case , take the beef using a slotted spoon and preserve the gravy for making beef curry ,in case or let the gravy dry out ,in open cooking .
Adding onion is optional, you can chop them and and saute it lightly in 1-2 tsp of oil along with few curry leaves, do not brown them .It should have the crunch. and add it to the fried beef just before serving! 🙂
- Quantity of ginger has to be less than garlic.
- For 1/2 kg , you will at least need 1 medium pod/ kudam of garlic.
- If need more base, add more shallots and garlic, but do not increase the ginger too much. It will alter the taste.
- Make sure to roast the paste well, otherwise it will taste and smell raw.
- Add water according to the beef you use, sometimes you need more water to cook the beef.
- Always add vinegar/lime juice to cook the beef well
- Keep adding oil when slow frying in the pan.
- For more spice you can either add green chillies or pepper , do not add more red chilli powder than mentioned! This recipe taste well with pepper flavor 🙂
- The spice paste has to be roasted well 🙂
- If you are using tablespoon measures, 1 tbsp= 3 teaspoon is the measure to use for coriander powder, red chilli powder to be used as per spice preference.