I’m a huge fan of cutlets, given anytime Cutlets are my favorite snack 😀 And if you are non-veg Malayali and an 80’s kid, sure that you would have craved for cutlets!
Minced beef makes the cooking cutlets much easier. Let’s get started,
P.S: Don’t forget to check the notes
|2||Boiled and grated potatoes||2-3 medium|
|4||Ginger||1/2” -3/4 “piece|
|6||Chilli Powder||1/2-3/4 Tsp|
|7||Turmeric Powder||1/4 Tsp|
|8||Pepper Powder||3/4-1 tsp or more *|
|9||Curry leaves||4-5 leaves, tear apart|
|10||Garam Masala (homemade)||3/4tsp-1 Tsp|
|11||Fennel powder * optional||1/2 Tsp|
|13||Oil||2-3 tbsp + for frying|
|14||Egg white||From 1 egg|
|15||Breadcrumbs/Rusk Powder||1 cup or as required|
|16||Coriander leaves||1-2 tsp, finely chopped|
- Wash the minced beef multiple times(until the water that comes out is clean) keeping them in a meshed colander.Squeeze out the water and let the excess water drain as well excess.
- Pressure cook the potatoes very well, peel them.
- Now, you can either grate them or mash them. Make sure there are no lumps in either case.
- Crush together ginger -garlic.
- Finely chop the onion.
- In a pan, add 2-3 Tbsp of oil once it’s hot, add the finely chopped onion.Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the crushed ginger-garlic and continue sauteing until the onion is translucent(don’t let them brown)
- Now bring down the flame and add turmeric powder, saute for 1 minute, followed by red chili powder and garam masala, pepper powder, fennel powder(if using them)curry leaves and saute for few minutes.
- Add the minced beef and mix everything well.Add salt, Cover and cook for 5minutes.
- This will ooze out a lot of water. So after 5 minutes open the pan, keep the flame in low-medium and let the all the water evaporate.
- Make sure the mix is completely dried with no moisture.Salt check. Add more spices if required.
- Add the mashed potatoes and combine everything well. Finally, add the chopped coriander leaves. Switch off the flame. Let the mix cool.
- Spread the breadcrumbs/rusk powder on a plate.
- Take the egg white in deep bowl, just beat it for few seconds with a fork
- Once the mix is cooled well, make small portions out of it and roll them between palms and gently press make as per the preferred shape. Roll out the rest of them as well.
- Now, dip one by one in the egg white and roll them in the breadcrumbs to coat them well.( use one hand to dip and the other to roll )
- Continue for the rest of the cutlets as well. spread them on a plate
- Heat oil in a deep pan, once hot start deep frying them.Serve hot!
- Do not use more oil for sauteing and the mix would turn oily while rolling out.
- You can also use chopped ginger garlic instead of crushing them.
- You can also use left over beef curry/roast for making cutlets.That makes work easier.
- You can also use normal cut beef. In that case, pressure cook the cleaned beef with turmeric powder, 1 tsp of chopped ginger and garlic. Mince it afterwards.
- The mixture shouldn’t have any trace of moisture. It causes breaking of cutlets.
- Freeze the rolled beef cutlets for a week or so.
- Use well-mashed potatoes.
- You can add green chilies if you like more spice, cut into thin rounds and add while sauteing.
See you all in my next post,