Potato roast/ stirfry/thoran/mezhukupuratti are so common and easy! But, this recipe is from a vegetarian cookbook that I have which has Tam-Bram recipes( Tamil-brahmin). The first thing that caught my attention was, the simplicity of the recipe and the second thing was the method.
This method, the potatoes are marinated in the spice powders and then cooked, which definitely is a game changer! I’m caught up in a lot of work these days ,I hardly get time for blogging :-/ But, this space is something that I’m not gonna leave that soon 😉
I’m not dragging it further, let’s get the recipe
|Potato||cleaned, peeled cubed, 2 medium|
|turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|red chili powder||1/4-1/2 tsp|
|sambar powder||1 tsp or more|
|oil/coconut oil||1 tsp or more|
|curry leaves +coriander leaves||handfull|
|mustard seeds||1/4-1/2 tsp|
|water||1 cup or more to cook the potatoes|
- Soak the cubed potatoes in water for 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl take turmeric powder, red chilly powder, sambar, asafetodia, salt, 1 tsp oil and mix well.
- To which add potatoes and combine everything. Set aside for 10 minutes-1/2 hr
- In a heavy bottom pan, add oil and once hot add mustard seeds let it crackle, follow with curry leaves.
- To which add potatoes and water and mix well. Cover and cook in High flame for 2 minutes after which bring down the flame.
- Keeping checking in between to see if it’s cooked well.
- If water is not enough, ADD sufficient HOT water and cook further.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, let it simmer in low flame for few minutes.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves on top .
- Serve hot with rasam, rice, and other accompaniments
I’ll see you all in my next post, until then BYE!!