Puttu is little M’s favorite , so we have puttu at least twice or thrice in a week. So,this cherupayar curry is something I make to go with puttu for one of those days. This curry is very common in many Malayali households, but I have always felt my Amma’s version is way different and tasty compared to all.
The basic difference being the coconut paste used. Usually ,we grind cumin, green chilli and garlic together with coconut. But, she does it a bit different way, by crushing the garlic separate and add it to the curry. Also we grind just 1/4 “-1/2” piece of green chilli ( sometimes, i omit grinding it along too ) to avoid overpowering flavor of the green chilly .
So, these simple things do make huge difference in the curry 🙂
Rich in protein ,is mild curry is apt for breakfast 🙂
|cook time||20 minutes|
|level of difficulty||easy-medium|
what you will need
how much you will need
|green gram||1/2 cup,soaked for 8 hours|
|shallots||5-6, thinly sliced|
|coconut grated||3/4 cup|
|cumin seeds||a pinch|
|garlic||1 small clove|
|water||3/4 cup + 1/4 cup|
|green chilly||1/4″ – 1/2 ” of one or 1 small (according to spice level|
|dried red chilly||3-4 ,no|
|curry leaves||1 spring|
|mustard seeds||1/4 tsp|
- Soak the green gram for at least 6-8 hours, and cook for 3-4 whistles or until done.
- Grind together coconut, green chilly and cumin seeds with enough water, meanwhile crush garlic separate and add it to the paste.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add oil once hot add mustard seeds, once splutters add dried red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the shallots and saute well until browned. To which add the cooked green gram with gravy if there is.
- Let it boil for 2 minutes , that’s when you add the coconut paste and mix everything well.
- and let it simmer for few minutes. Salt check and switch off.
- Grind the coconut paste ,with enough water. (add few tablespoon just to make it a paste)
- You can omit adding green chillies while grinding and add it directly to green gram while pressure cooking it.
- Add 1 full green chilly ,if you like it spicy.( but that definitely gives a overpowering taste of it )
- Adjust the water consistency accordingly.
until next time, happy cooking!!