Mezhukkupuratti/ stir fry or thoran is a must have for a kerala Meal alongside a gravy dish. And if you have bot thoran and mezhukkupuratti together:D then you call the meal ,LAVISH!! 😛
Mezhukkupuratti/stir fry ,is also a bachelor/spinster favorite , a newbie favorite all because its easy yet tasty! 😉 We normally make yam mezhukkupuratti slightly different way, it will slightly mushy not be this roasted ,also I crush the shallots in mixer.
See, how even the simple things change the taste of the dish 🙂
This particular dish ,is something I tasted at my SIL’s place , aunt did cut the yam into fine cubes which made them crisp and well roasted. and they call it chena upperi 😀
An easy side dish for rice,with minimal ingredients ….I have shared a quick video for better understanding.
Also, don’t forget to check the notes for extras 😀
Chena Mezhukkupuratti/Yam Stir Fry (serves 3-4 )
|what you will need||how much you will need|
|yam/chena||2 cups / cut into small cubes|
|tamarind water||1/2 tsp ( soak a small piece in 1 tbsp water )|
|crushed chilli flakes||1tsp|
|red chilli powder||1/2-3/4 tsp|
|turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|water||1/4 cup (or too cook yam)|
|coconut oil/oil||1-2 tbsp|
- Clean the yam, cut into cubes and take it in a colander and place it under running water and clean thoroughly. Do use a spoon to mix it while washing. Drain aside.
- In a pressure cooker ,take the yam pieces , add 1/2 tsp of tamarind water and water to cook it. Pressure cook for 1 whistle( mostly it will cook in 1 whistle itself, if not go for 2, depends on the variety we get)
- Meanwhile, chop the shallots ,I used a chopper .
- In a pan, add oil and let it heat up add chopped shallots and saute well.
- Let the shallots fry well, to which add turmeric powder, red chilli powder (in low flame) saute for 2 minutes and add cooked yam along with salt. mix everything well
- let it get roasted /slow fried for 10-15 minutes or more , keeping the flame low . Do add more oil if required.Add the curry leaves in between.
- Add crushed chilli flakes towards the end(if using), further letting it roast for 5 more minutes . Switch off and serve with other side dishes.
- Adding tamarind juice helps to get rid of itchiness that yam causes.
- As it get roasted ,it may turn bit dry, add 1 more tsp of oil ,in that case.
- You can also replace shallots with onion , but it doesn’t promise the same taste 🙂
- You can omit chilli flakes and add red chilli powder itself.
- if using a non stick pan, you wont need much oil. But if using cast iron or anything in that variety you may need more oil.
- You can very well make this in other oil 😀 Cooking in coconut oil ,is definitely an emotion for me ! 😉
- Please don’t crush the shallots in mixer/motor and pestle. Chop with hands or use a chopper!
- If the yam that you have cooks very fast, simply cook it in open pot with plenty of water until done, drain aside.
until next time, happy cooking!!