A mixed thoran is easy when you want to incorporate 2-3 veggies in your diet. This thoran has the goodness of raw banana/nendrakaya, carrots, ivy gourd /kovakka and perhaps, the only work involved is cutting all these vegetables, because after which it literally take less than 15 minutes to make this easy and tasty thoran.
I always steam my vegetables , that way it remain nutritious and also time saving.But in this case since we are using raw banana, which has more cooking time compared to other vegetables, I took them in my small pressure cooker and added 1/4 cup of water and cooked for 1 whistle.
- Raw banana :1/2 a banana( I used nendran,u could use any raw banana )
- carrots :2-3 medium
- ivy ourd/kovkka : 10-12 unripe ones
- coconut grated : 1/2 cup
- cumin seed : a pinch
- green chilli : 2 no
- mstard seed : 1/4 tsp
- urud dal : 1/4 tsp
- curry leaves : 2 springs
- garlic :3-4 no crushed with skin on
- turmeric powder :1/4 tsp
- salt : as required
- coconut oi :2-3 tbsp or less
- presure cook the vegetables with 1/4 cup of water adding little salt for just one whistle
- Grind together coconut , cumin green chilli with 1 tbsp of water into a coarse mix
- Crush the thoroughly washed garlic and add it to the coarse mix and set aside.
- Heat a pan, add oil once hot add mustard seeds, allow it to crack and then add urud dal. Let that brown too. add curry leaves and immidietly add the cooked vegtables.
- To which add turmeic powder and salt give a quick mix. Now add the coarsly grind /pulsed coconut mix to the pan combine evrything well.
- salt check at this stage , add if necessary.
- Let the mixture remain the pan for 5-6 minute in low flame to dry out the excess water.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.