Normally we tend not to give much value to things that are readily and abundantly available 😉 This was so me few years back , until I realized nothing could beat those vegetables which I grew up eating a lot.This includes Banana flower/Kudappan, Chembin Thalu/thandu, Kachil, Banana stem/pindi etc.
This pindi thoran is very easy to make when you are lazy and don’t want to spend more time in making a side dish. Sometimes, If I’m in good mood to cook I make it elaborated, adding more ingredients and bit more work involved. Both delivers different taste.
This recipe comes in hand ,when you are in a jiffy. Because, the only work involved is chopping the stem which you can do the previous night as well.
Unnipindi/Banana Stem Upperi :
- Banana Stem : 2 cups
- mustard seed :1/2 tsp
- urud dal :1/4 tsp
- dried red chillies :3-4 no
- turmeric powder :1/4 tsp
- coconut grated :1/4 cup
- coconut oil :3-4 tsp
- curry leaves :1 spring
- salt : as needed
- Steam the banana stem for 10 minutes or pressure cook by adding 4 tbsp of water for 1 whistle.
- Heat a pan , add oil to heat, add mustard seeds to pop , followed by urud dal to brown , add red chillies and curry leaves .
- Add the steamed/cooked pindi , salt , turmeric powder and saute well to combine. Bring down the flame to med-low and saute for a while , until the excess water is all dried out.
- Finally add the grated coconut and switch off the flame.