WANT TO READ THIS RECIPE IN MALAYALAM ,CLICK HERE!!
Erissery is usually made on special occasions like pirannal, onam, vishu etc, becasue we often find it’s a time consuming dish to make 😉 but we often make this version for our lunch. This is how my Mil makes it on busy days for school and office, but she doesnt add garlic, whereas I add garlic to avoid gas issues. This version is easier to prepare compared to the sadya Erissery , so you could make it for everyday lunch too.
This is not the exact sadya erissery, so please excuse 🙂 But definitely an easy way to include the goodness of pumpkin/mathanga and cow peas /vanpayar in your diet
- Mathanga /yellow pumpkin : cubed, 1.5 cup
- Vanpayar / cow peas : soaked overnight, 1/2 cup
- green chillies : 2-3 slit
- Coconut grated :1 cup
- water : 1 cup+1/4+1/4 cup* refer notes
- cumin seeds : 1 pinch
- pepper cons : 1-2 no
- Garlic cloves : 2-3 small
- Turmeric powder :1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder :1/2 tsp
- salt : as per taste
- mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
- fenugreek seeds : 2 pinches
- red chillies , dried : 3-4 no
- coconut oil :2-3 tsp
- curry leaves : 2 spring
- Soak vanpayar/cow peas overnight and pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles.
- In a heavy bottom vessel take cubed pumpkin , green chilli ,turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, and water boil well.
- Alternatively , you can do step 2 in pressure cook for 3-4 whistles too.
- Once pumpkin is cooked through, add the cooked vanpayar into it as well and mix everything together. Salt check and let it boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Simmer the curry for at least 5 minutes. Let the gravy thicken a bit.
- In the meantime, grind together coconut, cumin seeds, pepper cons into a fine paste with little water.Crush the garlic lightly ** and add it to the coconut paste.
- Now add this coconut paste into the curry and combine well. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Heat a pan for tempering , to which add oil once heat add mustard seeds, wait for it to pop , add fenugreek seeds, let it brown , dry red chillies, curry leaves and pour this over the curry and cover immediately with a lid.
- Cook the cow peas thoroughly otherwise it might cause gastric issue.If cow peas isn’t cooked well after 3 whistles, cook for 2 more whistles.
- If you are in a hurry go for pressure cooking the pumpkin and vanpayar.
- Do not crush the garlic along with coconut , always crush it separately and add it to the curry, curry might taste garlic otherwise.
- If you want the curry to be thick, let it simmer for a while before adding coconut paste.
- if you feel the curry is not having enough gravy, add 1/2 cup of hot water and simmer the curry for few more minutes.
- Unlike the usual Erissery we are not frying coconut in the end in this recipe 😉