Pre-Planning and Pre-Prep works are the key! Along with some simple yet tasty recipes.So welcome to the new series, hope you find it useful 🙂 And coming to this recipe, I love North Indian food 😛 but I also have to admit that I’m not so good at making it 😉 Many at times even after trying the recipes from other blogs, vlogs I never got it right until I met Puja 🙂 This particular recipe idea and ingredients were given by her , good friend of mine from Calcutta , who is also an awesome cook!
The taste that North Indian households delivers is totally different and authentic compared to Hotel style. Without further delay let’s see this easy recipe.
Kindly check notes section for further details.
Easy Stuffed Chapati
- whole wheat flour : 1 cup ( I use a 250ml cup which gives 4 chapatis)
- water : as required( almost 1/2 cup +)
- salt : as required
- Carrot : 2 medium grated
- potato : 1 medium ( prelater ssure cook with skin on , peel off and grate it )
- kasuri methi : 2 pinch
- cumin powder :1/4tsp
- coriander powder :1/2tsp
- red chilli powder :1/4tsp
- salt : as needed
- ghee /oil : to cook the partha
- Make soft chapati dough and set aside.
- Grate carrots and boiled potato and mix well with a spoon.
- Into which add salt to taste, spice powders and kasuri methi and mix well with a spoon.
- Divide the dough into equal medium portions and start rolling the chapatis.
- Just as you roll, when its in the size of small disc ,that”s when you put a table spoon of’carrot-potato mix to the center of it and gather all the sides and join together.
- Now dust the rolling base, and start rolling slowly by keeping the joined side facing opposite side of rolling pin.
- Roll this out into thin parathas. And heat a griddle , once hot place the rolled parathas and cook them in medium/low flame by adding required ghee.
- Yummy parathas are ready!
- I prepared chapati dough the previous night, and stored in an airtight container.
- Boil/pressure cook the potato with skin on and Grate it once cooled . refrigerate the grated carrot and potato for easy use.
- You can make an easy spice mix with cumin, coriander seeds and dried red chillies and store it, this makes things easier. For small quantity , dry roast 2 tbsp of cumin and 2 tbsp of coriander seeds for 3-4 minutes and add 1-2 dried red chilli according to your spice preference and dry roast further for 2-3 minutes, Grind it and store for future use.
- Kasuri methi is available in every supermarket, If you still cant find it No worries! Buy fresh Methi/Fenugreek leaves, wash and sun dry them well for a week or so ! Your dried Kasuri Methi is ready
- Do not skip adding Kasuri Methi, as its the key ingredient .But you are someone who doesn’t like the taste of it, Well, You can skip that 🙂
- For kids, use Ghee for making the paratha, For adults you may use sunflower oil too.
- While using ghee, be generous for parathas to remain soft until afternoon.
- Grate the potatóes , do not mash them as they may still have small lumps.
- If you can’t figure out the size of chapati portion for rolling , take two small lemon size portions and combine into one. 😉
Until next time ,Happy Cooking!