This was the first non veg dish that I tasted at my in-laws place two days after my wedding! And being someone who likes beef roast ,this dish totally blew my taste buds as it tasted quite different from all those beef roast that I had tasted before.
This is my Mil’s recipe, which never fails to please anyone who has tasted this. 😀 And perhaps the easiest one with less prep work 😉 The only wait is to get it roasted.
You can use the same method and replace Beef with Chicken 😛 * refer notes
Let’s not waste any time and see how this delicious beef roast is made 😉
Easy Beef Roast
- Beef :1 Kg cut into small pieces
- turmeric powder :1/2 tsp
- lemon juice : 1/2 a lemon
- Shallots : 12-15 no
- Ginger :1 inch piece
- Garlic : 2 pods
- green chilli : 2 no
- pepper cons : 1/2 – 1 tsp
- fennel seeds :1tbsp + 2tsp
- Cinnamon stick :1/2 ” piece
- cardamom : 2 no (use the seeds)
- Red chilli powder : 3tbsp (kashmiri)
- Coriander powder : 4tbsp
- Tomato :1 no
- salt : as needed
- Coconut oil :1/2 cup ( be generous 😉 ) **refer notes
- curry leaves :3-4 springs
- wash and clean the beef well until it oozes out all the blood traces.
- Drain the beef aside for 10 minutes and mariante the beef with trumeric powder + lemon juice
- crush together ginger, galric , shallots ,fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks ,green chillies, cardamom and pepper in a motor and pestle or pulse in mixie for twice.
- Heat a pan , add 1 tbsp of oil into which add the above mix and saute well until the raw smell completely goes off.
- Keep the flame low, the mix will change its color to light brown ,is when add in coriander powder and saute well for few minutes to avoid raw smell followed by red chilli powder too.
- Immediately add the sliced tomato and saute that too for 1-2 minutes. Switch off the flame and transfer the mix into beef and combine well
- Transfer everything into a pressure cooker. Beef oozes out water , if you feel it may not, add 1/2 cup of water too.
- Cook for 5-6 whistles or until done. Open the cooker once pressure releases completely ,add the salt and taste check .
- If the beef has oozed so much water, open cook it again in the pressure cooker,until most of the gravy /water is dried.
- Heat another pan with coconut oil ( add 1/4 cup initially and keep adding while roasting if you feel it necessary ) ,once heated add curry leaves and 2tsp of fennel seeds followed by the cooked beef,along with gravy if any.
- Saute and sprinkle 1tsp more of pepper powder, letting the beef to roast in medium flame for 5 minutes and to further roast bring down the flame to low and let it dry for 10 minutes or more.
- The color of roast would change to dark brown leaving the beef crisp. Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice, parotta, appam, idiappam or pathiri
- Use lemon juice/vinegar to cook the beef thoroughly .
- While cleaning the beef , you can also add 1 tbsp of vinegar after washing it twice or thrice and combine it well with vinegar.Keep aside for few minutes, you will notice the beef has released excess blood, wash thoroughly under water again , squeeze out the beef from water and drain well. This makes it easier to clean the beef and to get rid of any smell.
- Be generous in using coconut oil as its what delivers the actual taste.
- While roasting, keep an eye for adding additional oil,if you feel roast is getting too dry add 2-4 tsp of oil.
- Generally, beef oozes out a lot of water, but considering the worst case you can add 1/2 of water 😉
- Make sure to dry out as much as excess gravy possible before transferring for roasting, as this saves time and effort while roasting 😉
- If you dont want the beef roast to be a dry roast , keep it medium flame for about 5 minutes and switch off.
- Use Shallots and not big onion.
- If using spicy red chilli powder ,use only 2tbsp.
- You can use the same ingredients and method for chicken , by pressure cooking the chicken for just one whistle and rest the same .
Until next time,Happy cooking!