Easy Chicken Curry:
- Chicken : 1kg
- ginger : 1/2 inch piece
- garlic :10 cloves
- onion : 1 cut into pieces + 3 medium sliced
- tomato :1 medium
- Turmeric Powder :1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder : 2tbsp +1tsp (kashmiri/less spicy)
- Coriander Powder : 3tbsp+1/2tsp
- homemade Kerala Garam Masala :1 .5tsp
- Cinnamon stick : 1/2 inch piece
- fennel seeds :1tbsp
- Green chillies :2-3 slit
- lemon juice :1/2tsp
- Hot Water :1 cup
- water :1/2cup
- coconut oil :3-4 tbsp
- salt : as required
- curry leaves : 2-3 springs
- Clean the chicken pieces well and drain the excess water
- Grind together ginger -garlic -and one cut onion -cinnamon-fennel seeds into a fine paste.
- Marinate the chicken with turmeric powder and set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker, add oil and once it heats up add the onion garlic paste and saute well.
- Bring down the flame to low, and saute the paste well until it leaves the raw smell.
- Once its sauteed well,add 3 tbsp coriander powder and let saute for a minute to get rid of raw smell.
- Add 2tbsp red chilli powder and saute again, followed by garam masala. Let everything saute well and fry leaving raw smell completely.
- Add the chicken pieces and 1 cup of hot, required salt and mix well.
- Let the chicken cook for one whistle.
- In the meantime , heat a pan add some oil and add curry leaves , sliced onions , green chillies and saute well to brown them, later add sliced tomatoes as well.
- Let everything brown well in low-medium flame.
- Add 1/2 tsp of coriander powder and 1tsp of red chilli powder along with 1/2 cup of water and let that cook well and evaporate all water and make a paste form.
- Add the cooked chicken along with the gravy inside the cooker and mix with the onion tomato gravy.
- Let the curry boil well, add salt if required, add 1/2 tsp of lemon juice and continue simmering for few minutes
- Switch off the flame once the curry achieves required thickness.
- For 500gm chicken , reduce the quantities to half.
- for making it more easy you can grind onions into paste initially rather than slicing the rest.
- Make sure to fry the onion-ginger-garlic -fennel-cinnamon paste well ,with no raw smell.
- Adjust the spice powders according to your spice level.
- I have used homemade garam masala, you can use store bought too.
- Adjust the amount of oil to be used , as you saute the onion paste and sliced onion .