Potato is a family favourite 😀 and so is carrot , the favourite of two boys in my family 😉 So this mezhukupuratti/ stir fry is a family favourite too. This an easy mezhukkupuratti for lunch/ dinner.
You can either use big onion /savola or shallots for this.Whenever I have time I use shallots as it gives more taste. But , when I’m in a hurry I go for onion and I chop it it my tupperware chopper to get it done fast.
Potato – Carrot Mezhukkupuratti
- Potato : 2-3 medium sized chopped into small cubes
- Carrots :2-3 chopped same as potato
- Onion : 1 medium finely chopped
- crushed chilli flakes :1/2 -3/4 tsp
- turmeric powder :1/4 tsp
- Salt : as needed
- coconut oil :4-5 tsp
- curry leaves :1 spring
- Steam the chopped carrots and potatoes together for 10 minutes.
- In a pan, add oil once hot add curry leaves followed by chopped onions, saute well to brown/fry in low flame
- Let the onion brown well to avoid raw smell, add crushed chilli flakes and give a quick mix.
- Add the steamed vegetable mix , required salt and mix well.
- Let the vegetables fry for sometime ,in low flame. Keep checking in between to avoid sticking to bottom of vessel.
- Also add 1-2 tsp oil to dry the mezhukupuratti if required.
- Serve along with rice and other side dishes.
- For better taste steam the veggies.It wont take more than 10 minutes.
- If not using steaming method , you can add the chopped raw vegetables directly into the pan after sauteing and frying the onions n chilli flakes , add 1/2-1 cup of water , salt and let it cook.Once cooked well, let the water evaporate and dry the mezhukupuratti.
- we like our mezhukupuratti to be dry , so I let it remain in low flame for sometime , by checking it every now and then.
- You can adjust the number of potatoes and carrots.
- The onion/shallot to be browned well to get real taste.