Omakkaya/Kappanga/Kapplanga , Papaya has various names as it travel across Kerala.We can make curries, stir fries, thoran and even dessert with raw Papaya.
Pappaya plant can be seen in every nook and corner of Kerala, a fresh raw papaya from the plant will look like this.Not every papaya will have seeds inside it, it will also ooze out mildly sticky milk kind of liquid ( sap/latex ) once cut. This may happen only if the pappaya plucked straight away from the plant or in unripe papaya.Wash the papaya after peeling the skin and cutting into big pieces to get rid of this stickiness.
Along with removing the skin and seed,if any remember to peel a thin layer of inner skin to avoid bitterness.
A cleaned papaya would look like the one shown below.
Chop the papaya into small pieces for thoran and slice for mezhukupuratti.
Raw Papaya Thoran/Kappanga Thoran:
Pappaya/Kappanga : 1 whole papaya ( small/medium size) chopped
Coconut grated :1/2 cup
Green chillies :1-2 no
Jeera/ Cumin seeds : A pinch
turmeric powder : A pinch
salt : as per taste
Mustard oil :1/4
Urud dal :1/8tsp
Dried Red chilli : 4-5 no’s
curry leaves : 2spring
coconut oil :2-3tsp
- Cut the papaya into halves, peel the skin and remove seeds if any. Peel the inner skin as well.
- wash well to remove the stickiness. Chop into smaller cubes and set aside.
- Steam the chopped papaya in a steamer for 5-8 mintues or until done.
- Coarsely grind coconut , green chilli ,cumin seed and turmeric powder without any water .
- Heat a pan , once hot add oil and wait for it to heat up as well. add mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter well, add urud dal and let it brown. add red chillies ( break into two ) and curry leaves.
- Now bring down the flame to low and add the coconut mix and give a quick mix.
- Add the steamed Papaya , salt to taste and mix well to combine.
- let the excess water evaporate ,leaving the thoran dry
- Serve hot.
- Make sure to wash the papaya well to get rid of sap/latex.
- Steaming is advised to pressure cooking papaya as it retains the taste of papaya.
- Keep checking after 5-8 minutes, if the papaya isn’t cooked well , steam for some more time.
- using cumin seed is optional while grinding coconut.
- You can also cook papaya in pressure cooker ,by adding 2-3 teaspoon of water and cook for 1 whistle. (But I strictly recommend steaming!)
Happy Cooking ,