Ask a non-veg Malayali about their food favourites, Beef would obviously holds a special place in the list! yes, we non -veg mallus love beef! I have seen many of my non -malayali friends looking at me with a SHOCK!!!YOU EAT BEEF!! ??? and followed by various related questions.
Yes,peeps.. We eat beef and not just that we love beef dishes.I always followed a principle of not interfering in what others like! be it in anything… Anyway, coming back to this recipe.Kadachakka/breadfruit is yet another favourite of mine. This is my Amm’a recipe,don’t where is got this from.
- Pre cooked beef : 1 cup(refer notes)
- breadfruit : 1 cup/medium slices
- Onion :1/2 cup chopped
- curry leaves : 2-3 springs
- Coriander powder : 1tsp
- red chilli powder : 1/2 tsp (kashmiri)
- Kerala Garam masala : 1/2 tsp
- thick coocnut milk :1/2 cup
- coconut slices/tengakottu : 2-3 tsp
- coconut oil :3-4 tsp
- In a pressure cooker take the breadfruit /kadachakka pieces and precooked beef and 1/4 cup of water and salt to taste.
- Pressure cook for one whistle to cook the breadfruit.
- meanwhile, in a pan add a teaspoon of oil and let it heat ,add the chopped onion and curry leaves .saute to brown the onion.
- Add the coriander powder and saute for 1 minute in low flame , followed by red chilli powder and garam masala powder.
- Saute to brown, Now open the pressure cooker and add the coconut milk and mix well.
- Add the breadfruit/kadachakka into the pan with onion mixture and mix well and let it cook until gravy thickens.
- Roast until done.
**Precooking Beef :
- wash and drain the beef thoroughly.
- Dry roast few shallots (10 no: or so ) , 2 tsp of coriander powder and 1tsp red chilli powder and 1 tsp of garam masala for 2-3 minutes .
- rub this mixture onto the cleaned beef and cook it thoroughtly with enough water
- You could use left over beef curry as well for this.
- Remember to precook the beef if using fresh beef.
- keep the beef-kadachaka in low flame once gravy thickens and let it roast well.