I decided to make a thoran for lunch and I chose cauliflower for that.But, as I opened my fridge I was shocked to realise that I was left with only half of it. Of course, half a cauliflower would do nothing for us! 😀 I searched for another vegetable to add along with it to increase the quantity.. And no potatoes as usual.. I got my hands on some French beans and decided to mix those two.
The result was a a tasty thoran..Come lets see how its done. 🙂
Cauliflower- Beans thoran :
Cauliflower florets cut into small :1cup
French beans chopped :1/2cup
Grated coconut :1/2 cup
Water :1 cup(250 ml cup)
Green chillies : 1 no
Mustard seeds :1/4 tsp
Dried red chillies :3-4 no
Garam masala (optional) : a tiny pinch
Curry leaves : 1 spring
Coconut oil : 2-3 tsp
- Grind together coconut and green chilli into a coarse mix( do not add any water)
- Heat a pan ( i have used irumpu chatti) , when its hot add oil , followed by mustard seeds , dry red chilli, and curry leaves to it.
- Add the coconut mixture into the pan and add a cup of water into it.
- Once water starts to boil add the cauliflower and beans .
- Bring down the flame and let the vegetables cook through.( you can even cover using a lid)
- Keep checking in between to avoid sticking to the vessel.
Once water is evaporated completely , let it remain in the pan for few more minutes to dry the thoran.
Finally sprinkle garam masala ,if you prefer. Serve hot with rice and other dishes!