Meen Curry :
sheelavu / Barracuda fish : cleaned and cut into pieces 500 gm
turmeric powder : 1/2tsp
coconut grated : 1/4 cup
red chilli powder :2 tsp
coriander powder :1tsp
cococum /gamboge/kudampuli : 2-3 no
shallots /cheriyulli :3-4
ginger : 1/4 inch piece
thick coconut milk (thanipal) : 1/4 cup
water : 1cup or as needed
salt to taste
curry leaves : 2 springs
coconut oil : 1tsp
- clean and cut fish into curry pieces and set aside to drain excess water.
- In a pan roast the grated coconut with shallots and ginger until lightly browned ( no need to brown too much) add coriander powder and roast again in low flame. switch off the flame once the raw smell is gone.
- Add red chilli powder into the above roasted mix .(it just need the heat of the pan to roast). set this aside to cool. grind into fine paste once cooled.
- Take the gamboge/kudampuli ,wash it and let it soak in water for a while.
- Take coconut milk and set aside that too.
- In a claypot , take turmeric powder and water with gamboge and let it boil well. once boiled add the paste into the pot and give a good mix and let everything boil well.
- once this mixture reduces a bit in quantity add in the fish pieces , let it boil .Add salt into this now and let it cook well.
- finally add the coconut milk into this and switch off the flame.
- Sprinkle curry leaves and pour coconut oil over it
- serve hot with kerala matta rice.
- You can use the one cup water to soak gamboge and pour the same.
- Don’t over roast the coconut, and make sure to add the red chilli powder towards the end only.
- Add the salt only after adding the fish and its boiled once , this avoids fishy smell in curries.
- adjust water according to your requirement. more or less as you want consistency for your curry to be.